Re: SGML WG status

In message <199705062225.PAA10099@boethius.eng.sun.com> bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak) writes:
[... error reporting deleted ...]

> I would ask you all to please concentrate on xml-link right now,
> because whatever gets published on July 1 will be what people begin to
> implement, despite the completely provisional official status of the
> draft.  We also need to hear about editorial corrections (*not*
> requests for enhancement) that need to be made to xml-lang, which is
> also due for a fresh version on July 1.  If you have nothing useful to
> contribute to the task of finishing up (not adding to) xml-lang and
> xml-link, it's OK not to post anything to the list!  There are at
> least two other forums (xml-dev and comp.text.sgml) where you can talk
> about XML subjects that are not specifically related to finishing up
> xml-lang and xml-link.

OK - you want xml-link discussion :-) - I asked this gently somewhere,
but I'll try it again.  What is a  generic application meant to do with
GROUP and DOCUMENT?  AFAICS the structure of:

<FOO XML-LINK="GROUP">
<BAR XML-LINK="DOCUMENT" HREF="baz1"/>
<BAR XML-LINK="DOCUMENT" HREF="baz2"/>
</FOO>

is exactly the same as

<LIST>
<ITEM><A HREF="baz1"></A></ITEM>
<ITEM><A HREF="baz2"></A></ITEM>
</LIST>

assuming that HREF has the same semantics in each.  Therefore its primary
purpose would appear to be putting labels on the elements in a standard
way, rather than letting each implementor do their own thing.  This seems
a Good Thing, but it doesn't seem to be to be capable of interpretation
by a generic browser like JUMBO at this stage, so JUMBO doesn't do anything.
I can colour the Elements prettily if that helps.  (I assume that if
stylesheets are trained to recognise these attributes there could be some
generic applications possible).  Otherwise, am I missing something obvious?

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences