Re: 3.1 b-h: BEHAVIOR

At 4:57 PM -0800 3/2/97, Terry Allen wrote:
>Let me press harder.  Are XML-link semantics expressed to the
>processor or to the application, or to both, or is it up to
>designers of apps and processors to decide?  If it's not clear which,
>are you relying on the market to develop a common solution or are
>you punting?

I think that this question is confused by having 2-levels where 3 are
apopropriate.

and XML parser implements the syntax, and XML-linking engine detects and
flags linking constructs, and an application takes that information and
implements behavior.

_I_ think that he behavior options should be detected and flagged, and
passed to the application for implementation.  To take the two hoary
examples we've been using, full-text indexing, and web mapping, are cases
where direct implementation of behaviors by the XML linking engine would be
actually harmful. So I think we must be conveying intended policy to the
application rather than requiring things of the linking engine.

   Anyway, the meaning of "create a fresh display" is going to be
inherently application dependent. I can think of at least 4 different ways
to implement that off the top of my head. (New window, new pane, replace
something in some no longer desired old pane, create a new icon on tracking
map, prompt the user for a new filename to hold the next downloaded item,
etc..)