Re: ERB call on addressing

In message <3.0.32.19970323180259.009bc5d0@pop.intergate.bc.ca> Tim Bray writes:
> After *endless* further discussion, and realization that co-existing with
> the web is hard, the ERB, on March 22, voted as follows:
>
> A locator is a string which may contain either or both a URL
> and a TEI extended pointer [Xptr].  The URL indicates a resource; if
> the Xptr appears, this means that the desired resource is a
> "sub-resource" of that indicated by the URL.  The URL must appear first
> in the locator string.  If the URL does not appear, the Xptr is to
> be applied to the current document.  If an Xptr appears, it must be
> preceded by a Separator character.  There are three possible separator
> characters:
>
>  # - means that the user-agent is to fetch the resource described by
>      the URL, and use the Xptr to extract the desired sub-resource.
>      e.g.: http://www.xml.com/faq.xml#ID(a27)
>  ? - means that the user-agent is to transmit the URL and Xptr to the
>      server, which is to use the Xptr to extract the desired sub-resource
>      and transmit it to the user-agent.  In this case, the Xptr must
>      be preceded by the string "XML-PTR="
>      e.g.: http://www.xml.com/faq.xml?XML-PTR=ID(A27)
>  | - means that this locator only expresses the fact that the desired
>      sub-resource is to be retrieved by applying the Xptr to the resource
>      identified by the URL.  No constraint is placed on the system as
>      to how this should be accomplished.
>      e.g.: http://www.xml.com/faq.xml|ID(A27)
>
> Notes:
[...]
> Cheers, Tim Bray
> tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-708-9592

whilst later
In message <199703280148.UAA06240@www10.w3.org> Michael Sperberg-McQueen writes:
[...]
> 1 An XML-Link locator can include a TEI Extended Pointer in any of
> the following ways:
>
>   a.  in the query section:
>       http://www.uic.edu/x/y/z.xml?/tei/id(p23)child(1,emph)
>   b.  in the fragment identifier the same way
>       http://www.uic.edu/x/y/z.xml#/tei/id(p23)child(1,emph)
>   c.  in the 'indeterminate form' this way
>       http://www.uic.edu/x/y/z.xml/tei/id(p23)child(1,emph)
>   d.  in the URL-proper form this way
>       http://www.uic.edu/x/y/z.xml/teiq/id(p23)/child(1,emph)

[...]
The *syntax* of these two are different.  (One has "#ID" and the other
"#/tei/id", and similar other differences.  CMSMCQ (c) and (d) have no special
character (unless my mailer is incapable of detecting it - there was some
correspondence about that).  also (c) and (d) use "tei" and "teiq".  Also there
is an implied compression of spaces into null and/or ",".

Are they equivalent and the application must handle both?  Or is there going
to be convergence at some time? (Not being a TEI user I don't know whether
there is a common practice here).

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences