Re: equivalent power in SGML and XML

> From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
> Date: 	Tue, 17 Sep 1996 10:54:23 +0100
>
> The set of documents I would like to see "grandfathered in" is that set
> defined in (valid) HTML.

I just don't think this is practical.  HTML relies OMITTAG (notably
for P, LI, DT, DD).  I don't see how we can possibly achieve our ease
of implementation goals if we support OMITTAG in XML.

> If an XML browser cannot read that set of raw HTML
> documents that are valid according to the 2.0 DTD (or later versions) then
> it will not be of much practical use, and will be ignored by the majority of
> potential users.

I don't need to use an XML browser to browse HTML; I've already got
plenty of HTML browsers that do that just fine.

James