Re: equivalent power in SGML and XML

At 05:17 AM 17/9/96 +0100, Bill Lindsey wrote:

>Is it a design goal to ensure that some percentage of today's
>SGML documents are "grandfathered" in, or is it enough that the
>EE-ESIS translation is available?  If it is the former case,
>how do we decide which class(es) of documents shall be supported?

The set of documents I would like to see "grandfathered in" is that set
defined in (valid) HTML. If an XML browser cannot read that set of raw HTML
documents that are valid according to the 2.0 DTD (or later versions) then
it will not be of much practical use, and will be ignored by the majority of
potential users. (We would still have the problem of the 60% of invalid
documents, but hopefully this situation will get better once standard WP
tools start offering automatic conversion to HTML.)

Martin Bryan
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/