Re: A note on case sensitivity

David G. Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu> (David G. Durand) wrote:
> >Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
> >> Let's all take a deep breath.  Case-sensitive element names,
> >> attribute names, attribute values.  We can live with that.
> [...]
>
> Yea, verily, yea!
>
> Now the agonizing part: are !element !attlist, etc. upper or lower case?

I don't have the Handbook handy,
but a quick test with SGMLS indicates
that NAMECASE GENERAL NO requires keywords
to be UPPERCASE.  (This includes keywords
like CDATA, NMTOKENS, ANY, and O, as well as
<!ELEMENT...> <!ATTLIST...> <!ETCETERA...>).

> I argue for lower case, given that studies of roman alphabet readability
> dhave shown mixed case to be more distinctive, legible, and easy to read
> than ALL CAPS TEXT. I have having to shout when I type tags....

For tags you can use whatever case you like;
it's only the markup declarations that are affected.

I'll vote "yes" to NAMECASE GENERAL NO (case-sensitivity).

--Joe English

  jenglish@crl.com