Re: The external text entity problem

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 15:33:38 -0500
To: bill.smith@eng.sun.com
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>The case I have in mind is one, for a valid XML document, where an
>external text entity contains markup that would change the content
>model of the document  instance based on parse-time inclusion versus
>use-time inclusion. I'm not a parser expert but suspect that we may
>have a problem with delayed parsing of external text entities in
>valid XML even if we preclude asynchronous entities.

I cannot see any cases (with the API's I have in my head) when an
application could ever even know if the entity occurred (ie. the
tree the application accessed would be identical for all practical
purposes). I could see some differences in RE/RS recognition if we
follow SGML's recognition rules, which would lead to some differences
in tree structure, and this is another reason why I prefer the "no
such thing as RE/RS" approach...