Re: A note on case sensitivity

From: David G. Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:20:17 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 8:42 PM 10/29/96, Bill Smith wrote:
>Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>
>> As do I.  I also think it's the most practicable thing to do.  We
>> will never have less XML legacy data to worry about than we do now
>> -- so it will never be easier to introduce case sensitivity
>> throughout the markup language than it is now.
>
>Well said.
>
>> Let's all take a deep breath.  Case-sensitive element names,
>> attribute names, attribute values.  We can live with that.  Element
>> names restricted to a subset of the alphabet (say, A-J, all
>> uppercase)?  I couldn't live happily with that, and I can't see
>> asking the native speakers of every language but English and Latin
>> to do so.
>
>Ditto.

Yea, verily, yea!

Now the agonizing part: are !element !attlist, etc. upper or lower case?

I argue for lower case, given that studies of roman alphabet readability
dhave shown mixed case to be more distinctive, legible, and easy to read
than ALL CAPS TEXT. I have having to shout when I type tags....

   -- David

Since the religious aspect of this issue is very large, perhaps comments
should be restricted to a single vote for preferred case... I could live
will ALL CAPS BUT I FIND IT UGLY AND HARD TO READ. I WILL NOT POST FURTHER
ON THE ISSUE OF WHICH CASE TO USE. I HAVE SAID MY PIECE. I'D STILL MUCH
RATHER LIVE WITH UPPER CASE THAN TRY TO DEFINE CORRECT CASE FOLDING IN
UNICODE, or implement it.

RE delenda est.
http://www.dynamicdiagrams.com/services_map_main.html