Re: D.1 Distinguish partial and full DTDs?

From: David G. Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:20:07 -0500
To: W3C SGML Working Group <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
At 10:47 AM 10/30/96, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>Eve is surely right that claiming validity is probably more
>useful and to the point than saying 'DTD is complete/incomplete';
>also right to suggest the default should be 'no validity claimed'.

And since valid documents will require a doctype, we don't need any extra
flag at all! We expect that it is valid if it has a doctype, and
well-formed if it has no doctype (or maybe a "<!doctype foo SYSTEM [ some
dumb subset ]>" doctype, if we can't eliminate the notion of partial DTDs).

  --- David

>-Michael Sperberg-McQueen

RE delenda est.
http://www.dynamicdiagrams.com/services_map_main.html