Re: A11: element content and mixed content?

At 3:14 PM 10/4/96, Paul Prescod wrote:
>At 06:25 PM 10/3/96 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>>On 9 October 1996, the ERB will vote to decide the following question.
>>A non-binding preliminary vote indicates the ERB is now leaning to Yes.
>>
>>A.11 XML will retain the distinction between element content and mixed
>>content (7.6, 11.2.4).  (Applies only if DTD supplied and used.)
>
>Why would we want to keep this distinction?
>
> Paul Prescod
If we drop the distinction, we must treat spaces and tabs as data elements
in element content (like tables) because without a DTD we can't tell
whether or not it is element content, and therefore "insignificant". Of
course, I'd say that we should drop it, and accept the restrictions on
whitespace, but the current leaning reflects the "code-formatting" needs
you and others have advocated.

   -- David

RE delenda est.
Element content whitespace rules, too.