Re: A2: SGML declaration?

From: David G. Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:15:45 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 1:36 PM 10/4/96, Paul Prescod wrote:
>At 06:20 PM 10/3/96 CDT, you wrote:
>>On 9 October 1996, the ERB will vote to decide the following question.
>>A non-binding preliminary vote indicates the ERB is now leaning to Yes.
>>
>>A.2 All or virtually all the information provided by a normal SGML
>>declaration will be fixed for all documents; no SGML declaration will be
>>necessary.  (Possible exception:  character-set information may vary
>>document to document, but will be conveyed in other ways.)  (6.2.3)
>
>Chould we reserve a place in the syntax for referring to one in the future
>so that we can gracefully introduce some form of SGML declaration if we want
>to in the future? For instance, perhaps if we make some wrong decision here,
>we will need to make a future version and differentiate them in the SGML
>declaration.
>
> Paul Prescod

We already have one, A new tag in DSD, should we choose that route.

Another random keyword follwing <! delimiters of we stick with the Standard
syntax. Given the current _lack_ of agreement in parsing practice with
declarations (except when declared in a CATALOG), we need not worry about
SGML compatibility here.

   -- David

   RE delenda est.

http://www.dynamicdiagrams.com/services_map_main.html