Re: Social Meaning Boston 6 March

At 05:17 PM 2/18/03 +0000, Brian McBride wrote:
>At 11:16 18/02/2003 +0000, Graham Klyne wrote:

>>>Really!  Where?
>>
>>There's been some discussion on WebOnt, starting here:
>>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jan/0280.html
>>
>>Also, it doesn't count as discussion, but I indicated a position here:
>>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Jan/0228.html
>>
>>But I'll agree with you that there's not yet been sufficient discussion
>>to see where this is going.
>
>Thanks Graham, the pointers were very useful.
>
>Jeremy is suggesting - lets see if we can find a form of words that
>satisfies everyone.  I'm hoping that doesn't mean fudging the issue.  I'm
>also very concerned that you won't be present if there is a f2f discussion
>at the tech plenary.  Maybe we should be thinking about dialing you in?
>
>I'm also wondering about laying some of the groundwork.  I'm seeing a lot
>of very unstructured discussion, and I fear there is great risk of
>confusion clouding the discussion.
>
>Do you and Jeremy have any ideas on how we might best prepare/clarify the
>question.

I don't think we need to compromise anything here -- I think most of the
concerns expressed have been concerns of the WG, and the problem has been
in the explanation.  In hindsight, I think the example we used has not been
helpful, and I'd like to drop it.

Here are some thoughts I have:

[[
I think the issue of social meaning is poorly handled, and needs to be
improved.  I think the main point we need to convey here is that there may
be social meaning associated with some RDF that is opaque to automated
reasoning processes.  The secondary point is that such meaning may be
embodied in some collection of RDF statements, and those statements may be
obtained by application of a logically valid reasoning process.  But there
is no intent that RDF agents somehow need to be aware of the social meaning.
]]

There is a separate issue of how a URI gains its meaning, which I think
should be handled separately.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>