Re: Reopening tidy/untidy decision

Brian McBride wrote:

> At 22:21 26/09/2002 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>

>> I ask that the proponents of string-based (tidy) semantics
>> present their arguments to the WG in the same manner
>> as the proponents of value-based (untidy) semantics were
>> asked to do prior ro last Friday's vote.
>

> That seems sensible.  I suggest we collect all the reasons for and
> against each proposal into the rationale document we started this week.

Brian,

how can "tidy" folks contribute to that document? I'd like the reasoning
of [1,2] to be included. The points substantiated in [1,2] are these:

a) Untidiness is not required for correct modeling, or forward/backward
compatibility.

b) Untidiness does not solve a general issue of using substitute
artifacts in property ranges (claimed by untidy folks). Examples are
using strings instead of names, names instead of persons, strings
instead of integers, integers instead of kilograms, kilograms instead of
masses, integers instead of masses, strings instead of masses. This is
common modeling practice and cannot possibly be forbidden, let alone by
using untidy literals.

3) Untidiness requires changes in existing apps and APIs, whereas tidy interpretation does not.

Sergey

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Sep/0283.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Sep/0297.html