Re: The first sentence

At 13:11 28/10/2002 -0600, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>>[[The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for representing
>>information in the Web.]]
>
>I hate to nitpick, but this isn't really true. RDF isn't a language, it's
>a framework.

I knew raising this was a bad idea when I did it.

Let me make the following points:

   1) We have more important things to worry about than this, so lets not
spend too much energy on it.

   2) RDF is effectively defined by its abstract syntax and a model theory
therefore it is a language, or close enough for an introductory sentence.

   3) If we are into "my text is better than yours" and arguments over
style, I don't think I've got the energy.  I've suggested it would be good
to have a common one sentence "RDF is ...".  I've made a
suggestion.  Hopefully we can at least all agree its not a data model.  If
any editor feels that his text is sufficiently better that it justifies
being different then just go ahead.