Re: The first sentence

pat hayes wrote:

> >  > Whilst its kinda trivial, I suggest that it would be good if we all agreed
> >>  on a one sentence description of what RDF is.  How about:
> >>
> >>  [[The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for representing
> >>  information in the Web.]]
> >
> >I prefer that description as well.  Would "on the Web" or
> >"on the World Wide Web" be better?
>
> Er... is this saying that the language is on/in the Web, or that the
> information is? It could be understood as saying that RDF is a
> language for representing information *about* the Web.
>
> How about:
>
> The RDF is a language for marking up content on the Web in a form
> which can be used by software.

You guys!  "for marking up content on the Web" sounds like you'll be
creating lots of RDF inside tags that you use to delimit ordinary
content, or that you stick on Web pages as annotations interspersed with
the regular content.  Technically, neither the information, nor the
things referred to, need to be on or in the Web (depending, of course,
how you define "on the Web" or "in the Web").  How about a
meta-definition:  "The RDF Core Working Group is a group of people that
tries, mostly unsuccessfully, to describe complicated ideas in single
sentences."  [sort of like trying to describe complicated relationships
using triples without asserting too much!]

--Frank