Re: The first sentence

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, pat hayes wrote:

> >  > Whilst its kinda trivial, I suggest that it would be good if we all agreed
> >>  on a one sentence description of what RDF is.  How about:
> >>
> >>  [[The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for representing
> >>  information in the Web.]]
> >
> >I prefer that description as well.  Would "on the Web" or
> >"on the World Wide Web" be better?
>
> Er... is this saying that the language is on/in the Web, or that the
> information is? It could be understood as saying that RDF is a
> language for representing information *about* the Web.

The key imho is that the information is being exchanged using Web
technology. The information itself is about all sorts of things (people,
places, ideas, products, artifacts) which may or may not be 'on' the Web
according to your intuitions about that extended metaphor. But their
descriptions can reasonably (imho) be said to be exchanged 'in' the Web...

Dan