Re: email straw poll: literal semantics proposals

oops, I meant
if so, then that could be done with C, D or E
                                    ^^^^
-- ,

                    Jos De_Roo
                                         To:     "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
                    2002-10-10           cc:     "w3c-rdfcore-wg" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
                    12:21 PM             Subject:     Re: email straw poll: literal semantics proposals(Document
                                         link: Jos De_Roo)

I think I understand what you are saying Patrick
but I have much less in mind
a bare literal is *not* denoting anything
but its own lexical form and I'm convinced that
that is a global and unambiguous meaning
and I agree that looking for more than
that leads to nonsense
of course you could then ask where the
real datatype value is and the answer is
then that it is not on the semantic web, but
maybe somewhere inside an engine or so
the point however is, do we really *always*
need those *value* designators out there?
if so, then that could be done with B, C or E
OK suppose one uses E (as it is already done
by many people) such as in e.g.
  :Jenny foo:age _:v . _:v xsd:integer "10".
then is that "10" really denoting anything
else but its own lexical form???
(maybe I'm trying to stand too much in the shoes
of a machine for which :love is just a property
at least as long as it's not a builtin)

-- ,

                    "Patrick Stickler"
                    <patrick.stickler@       To:     "ext Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>,
                    nokia.com>                "w3c-rdfcore-wg" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
                                             cc:
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    "Patrick Stickler"

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690,
patrick.stickler@nokia.com]