Re: missing (and incorrect) RDFS axioms

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Subject: Re: missing (and incorrect) RDFS axioms
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:00:17 -0600

[...]

> >rdfs:comment	   rdf:type	   rdf:Property
> >rdfs:comment	   rdfs:domain	   rdfs:Resource .	*
> >rdfs:comment	   rdfs:range	   rdfs:Literal .	*
> >
> >rdfs:label	   rdf:type	   rdf:Property .	*
> >rdfs:label	   rdfs:domain	   rdfs:Resource .	*
> >rdfs:label	   rdfs:range	   rdfs:Literal .	* @@@
> >
> >rdfs:seeAlso	   rdf:type	   rdf:Property .	* @@@
> >rdfs:seeAlso	   rdfs:domain	   rdfs:Resource .	*
> >rdfs:seeAlso	   rdfs:range	   rdfs:Resource .	*
> >
> >rdfs:isDefinedBy   rdf:type	   rdf:Property .	* @@@
> >rdfs:isDefinedBy   rdfs:domain	   rdfs:Resource .	*
> >rdfs:isDefinedBy   rdfs:range	   rdfs:Resource .	*
> >rdfs:isDefinedBy   rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:seeAlso .	* @@@
>
> I don't like the above. I don't think seeAlso *is* a property; if it
> is, what's in its property extension??

Actually, it is rdfs:name that is not a property.  Instead rdfs:label is a
property.  (I changed from name to label above.)

> I wasn't aware of that subproperty connection: is there a source for that?

Section 2.3.5 of RDFSS (2000 version).    Also in the new RDFS document.

By the way, explicit domains and ranges are given for most RDFS properties
in the new RDFS document, even when they are rdfs:Resource.  The only
exceptions are the ranges of rdf:object, rdfs:member, and rdf:value.  (I
don't recall seeing rdf:value in the RDF MT.)

peter