Re: TAG issues during technical plenary

>On 2002-01-23 12:45, "ext Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
>wrote:

>>  roughly, a URI denotes a function that, when applied to some arguments,
>>  returns some data entity...
>
>That's an interesting way to look at it, and in fact, a
>useful analogy for the difference between URL/URN/URP
>is that a URL is a function, a URN is a pointer to a
>function

Why to a function? Wouldnt a URN be able to name almost anything?

>(possibly null) and a URP is a constant.
>
>Hmmm...

Let me add another thought. Some URIs may be best thought of as
continuations, so that when invoked (called) they return a data
entity but also (perhaps implicitly) another way to call the same
function; and that next call may return a different data entity, of
course. This lets the 'resource' (?) have some residual state which
may change with time, rather than being a pure mathematical function,
and therefore gives some flesh to the otherwise puzzling talk about
'conceptual mapping' in RFC2396.

Just a thought to keep y'all humming.

Pat

PS heres another thought. DAML is going through the throes of
inventing a query language for itself. Is there any basic similarity
between using a URI to access something, and posting a query and
getting back an answer? Maybe a URI is a kind of generic atomic
'query' addressed to the web as a whole, along the lines of 'does
anything with this name exist?'

I have no idea if this makes any sense at all, but if it causes
someone to have an epiphany, please remember me in your will.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes