Re: use/mention and reification

At 01:46 PM 1/23/02 +0200, Patrick Stickler wrote:
> >  OTOH, without allowing
> > that it seems that URI-refs don't offer anything that label strings like
> > "Lois" and "Jimmy" don't also offer.  The point of my comment was to
> > suggest that matters relating to personal belief of identity shouldn't
> > really be expressed in terms of URIs.
>
>But your examples are not about belief of identity, they
>are about belief of properties of entities which are given
>identity.
>
>I.e., you weren't saying that <person:Lois> <ex:accepts> that
>"Superman" <ex:is> <person:Superman>.

My take on this scenario was that Lois' non-belief that Clark Kent is
strong is rather bound up with her belief about the identity of the person
she knows as "Clark Kent";  i.e. that she does not recognize him as also
being the person she knows as "Superman".

I think some alternative formulation of this scenario could lead to a
situation in which Clark Kent and Superman have universally accepted
denotations, and URIs may then be appropriate.  In this case, I think that
it's not possible that they denote exactly the same thing;  e.g. Clark Kent
denotes a person X wearing a suit and glasses;  Superman denotes the same
person X wearing a natty blue-and-red number.  In this formulation, using
URIs seems less troublesome.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
        __
       /\ \