Re: literal value terminology (was: Re: Review of MT)

At 06:09 PM 1/18/02 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>Hmm. The trouble is that plain "value" could mean anything at all.  I want
>to allow the MT to conceptually distinguish values of literals from
>semantic values in general, ie resources. (They might turn out to be the
>same; but they might not also and I'd like to stay agnostic.)

Yes..

>How about calling them "datatype values" ? That avoids the use of
>"literal" as an adjective and also makes an obvious connection with
>datatyping. It also follows the DAML usage, which distinguishes 'object'
>classes from 'datatype' classes, which are classes of datatype values.
>
>Anyone got strong views on this? Speak now! Unless there are strong
>objections I will make this change.

I have no objections with these terms per se, but...

Have we got a glossary somewhere to record all this... I'm becoming a
little worried that there might not be convergence terminology.  I've been
talking/thinking in terms of datatype lexical space vs value
space;  Sergey's datatyping document sets up these, and I guess I'd like to
see any new/refined terminology related to those definitions.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
        __
       /\ \
      /  \ \