Re: Review of MT

On 2002-01-18 18:23, "ext Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:

>> In section 1.3:
>>
>>   "RDF as presently defined provides no syntactic means to distinguish
>>    asserted from nonasserted triples..."
>>
>> ? But isn't this what statement reification is for?
>
> Well, some people think so and others do not. Reification is still
> murky, so Im steering clear of it for now.  (My own view is that
> reification is not an appropriate way to encode unasserted triples,
> by the way, but lets have that debate under another heading. )

I agree, but yes, let's leave it as a separate discussion ;-)

>>   Or by "literal value" do you mean the member of the value space
>>   of some datatype?
>
> Yes, that is what I meant.

Good. I had hoped that was the case. What threw me
was the adjective 'literal' in front of value. It
seems to suggest that the values are the strings
(literals) rather than the members of the value
space of the datatype.

Perhaps you could just say 'value'? and leave the
'literal' off?

>>   If the latter, then don't we need some treatment of lexical datatypes,
>>   value spaces, lexical spaces, and (presumably also) canonically
>>   lexical spaces in the core MT?
>
> Well, we need it eventually.  But in the meantime, the MT can just
> say that literals denote literal values (whatever those turn out to
> be).

Fair enough. Though I think it would be clearer, in
light of the vocabulary of the "foundation" datatyping
document (sections 1-3 of Sergey's document) to just
say 'value' rather than 'literal value'.

Cheers,