RE: Question about S

At 03:21 AM 12/17/01 +0200, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
> > >Here is the question again with examples:
> > >
> > >The S examples include statements such as the following:
> > >
> > >    Bob ex:age _:1 .
> > >    _:1 s:integer "10" .
> > >    s:integer rdfs:domain xsd:integer .
> > >
> > >I understand this to mean that the node '_:1' denotes a value
> > >of type xsd:integer and there is a mapping to that value from
> > >the lexical form "10" which is presumed to be a member of the
> > >lexical space of xsd:integer.
> >
> > The statements above, as given, don't express the idea that "10" is a
> > member of the lexical
> > domain of xsd:integer.  Hence...
>
>Then can you provide an alternate example that does? I'm
>presuming that somehow, somewhere, we need to know that "10"
>is a member of the lexical space of xsd:integer. How is that
>defined in S if not as above?

Well, this might (for some appropriate definition of lex:integer):

     Bob ex:age _:1 .
     _:1 s:integer "10" .
     s:integer rdfs:range lex:integer .

[...]
> > The "special treatment" of datatypes is that the
> > datatype-defining URIs
> > have fixed interpretations. In the your example, having the
> > definition of
> > s:integer fixed so that its relational extension contains
> > pairs of the form:
> >
> >      <1,"1">
> >      <2,"2">
> >      etc.
>
>And then how do you declare a given URI as a datatype-defining
>URI?

Well, I don't know what you mean by "datatype-defining", but some means
external to the RDF core would be used to define that the class associated
with a URI has some specified class extension.  RDF itself has no way to
define the actual meaning of any given URI, just rules which allow
preservation of meaning to be determined.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
        __
       /\ \
      /  \ \