Re: best way to write triples?

>We depend on eyeballs to get it right if we go
>this way. I don't like to do that. I like
>to have the machine help.
>
>>  Last time I looked, Ntriples syntax would have that as
>>
>>  <ex:Jenny> <ex:age> "10" .
>
>er... technicall, that's legal N-triples; but
><ex:Jenny> is a full URI reference; it's not an
>abbreviation for something longer. i.e.
>if you mean
>
>	<http://example/vocab#Jenny>
>
>then you have to write that in full.

I understand. No Qnames. I just wanted to get something that was the
shortest syntactically legal example possible. I gather that the
minimal requirement on a uriref is that it contain a colon, so that
<a:b> is in fact a legal uriref, right? (I wouldn't expect Omniweb to
know what to do with it.)

Hmm, how do we write things  like <xsd:number> properly, then??

>>  Jos writes them using an N3 variant:
>>
>>  ex:jenny ex:age "10" .
>>
>>  Maybe we should agree on a common publication format? If so, which is
>>  it? Guidance, anyone??
>
>If you can use real n-triples without it being
>unmanageably verbose, I suggest that.

I'll do that in examples, but use the XXX BBB CCC style for stating
closure rules, how's that? The idea being to make it very obvious
that these are intended to be stand-in meta-variables rather than
actual RDF.

>Otherwise,
>I'm kinda partial to the "N3 variant."
>
>Note that n-triples doesn't have metasyntactic varables.
>i.e. no "if you see AAA BBB CCC. then include XXX BBB CCC."
>stuff. We don't have a formal notation for that sort
>of rule; don't confuse the reader into thinking that
>we do.

I was thinking of saying things like 'where XXX is any uriref and AAA
is any literal', that kind of thing. These should only occur in
tables of rules (and maybe in the proofs of the lemmas, but that's
math in any case.)

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes