Re: model theory publication draft

>At 02:27 PM 9/18/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>At last the model theory is in readable form, at
>>
>>http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes/RDF%20MT-currentdraft.html
>
>Pat,
>
>I have a couple of small comments/questions about this, and a more
>substantial issue (the final point below).
>
>- the document variously uses the terms URI, uriref, <uriref> to
>mean something like "URI-plus-optional-fragment".  Maybe we could
>coin a term for this and use it consistently?

I await instruction. I meant to use 'URI' as the vanilla terminology,
and 'uriref' when referring to Ntriples, but I may have slipped up in
places.

>- Section 5:
>I thought this was great;  very neat.  Would I be correct in
>thinking that the schema-closure of any graph satisfies the Strong
>Herbrand Lemma.
>
>Hmmm.. as stated, I think this is trivially true, as the lemma is
>stated in terms of satisfaction, which is not affected by the new
>inferences based on schema constructs.

Right.

>I think what I want to suggest is this version of the lemma:
>   The schema-closure of any RDF graph has an RDFS interpretation
>that satisfies the graph and does not satisfy any ground triple not
>in the graph.

Hmm, that seems right, but let me think about it. There are probably
several neat results like this for RDFS which I simply haven't
thought of.

>- Section 5:
>I think there may be a problem with the schema lemma,

>The problem, I think, is that the schema closure is applied before
>doing the graph merge.  I think the lemma should be something like
>this:
>
>   S s-entails E iff the schema-closure of the merge of members of S entails E.

YES!  You are absolutely right!

Many thanks for catching this. I will fix this in the next version
(ready in a few hours)

See, *this* is why one ought to write the proofs before publishing.

Pat

>#g

>Graham Klyne                    MIMEsweeper Group
>Strategic Research              <http://www.mimesweeper.com>
><Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes