Re: rdfs:Literal question

At 04:57 PM 9/17/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>My take is that it provides a way of characterizing the things that
>>literals denote.
>>
>>So even if
>>   LLL rdf:type rdfs:Literal .
>>is not valid syntax, I think it's reasonable to be able to say that LV
>>(as in XL: qLiteral -> LV) is the same as ICEXT(I(rdfs:Literal)).
>
>Well, there is something very odd about having a constraint that is
>perfectly clear, perfectly natural, and assumed in the semantics, but
>being unable to say it in the formal language, especially when its
>perfectly clear HOW to say it in the formal language. (Its a bit like not
>being able to assert subclass loops, in fact :-)

Well, yes.  I sort-of assume the shackles will one day be removed from
literals-as-subjects, but I'm just trying to make sense of that with which
we are given to deal.

It did occur to me that, after I wrote the comment above, the capability is
arguably redundant now we have a formal model theory to work with.  Our
predecessors maybe had to introduce rdfs:Literal to give themselves some
vocabulary to talk about what you constructed with ( XL : qLitereal -> LV )?

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>