Re: 2001-09-07#5 - literal problem

I suppose I think of this a bit differently.

The way I see it we are discussing two things here:

   1.  when two literals are equal from the point of view of the model
       theory

   2.  the matching algorithm an application might use when it does
       a query or other operation on an RDF model

The inclusion of f* mixes these up.

As I see it, the specs we are writing define equality for the model
theory.   We are not defining application behaviour.

In which case all f* are actually f.  That is of course,
unless we want to and can persuade Pat to move to a logic
which distinguishes between 'should be' and 'must be'.
(only joking, Pat :)

An application may choose any matching that is appropriate for that
application;  I'm told that Geordie's can have a good guess at
what some Norwegian means, but I don't think we should build that
sort of thing into our specs.

Brian