Math in email, HTML (was: SYNTAX: Lexical-Functional Grammar approach)

On Friday, September 14, 2001, at 10:48  AM, Pat Hayes wrote:

> I think it is almost impossible to get 'math' symbols to come
> out right in more than about half the extant browsers. It might
> be better to use &-escapes with the character names. I notice
> that the Encyclopedia of Philosophy uses little gifs for things
> like quantifiers and subset in its HTML, presumably in
> desperation.

Combining these two approaches in MINSE:

http://web.lfw.org/math/

which takes plain text math such as:

'deriv(f(x), x) = 'lim((f(x+h)-f(x))/h, h->0)

and converts them to ASCII art:

   d                 f(x + h) - f(x)
  dx         h -> 0         h

or images: