Re: Working on glossary

>At 01:52 AM 9/11/01 +0100, pat hayes wrote:
>>Oh dear. That simply does not make sense. Look, there are two notions here.
>>One is the thing with an identity, more traditionally called the thing
>>denoted; examples include web sites, books, human beings, corporations, etc.
>>. Another is the conceptual mapping or correspondence between the name and
>>that first thing, sometimes called the denotation mapping. These are not,
>>and cannot possibly be, the same thing. So RFC2396 is just plain confused.
>
>[Full message below]
>
>Oh dear, indeed ;-)
>
>I'll not try and respond directly to your points (yet), but see if I
>can skirt around them..
>

>Problem statement:
>
>The web currently contains many things, identified by URIs, that
>correspond to ideas like "the current weather".  I think this is
>something that makes the web truly valuable -- the ability to
>deliver dynamic information.  If RDF cannot describe these things
>then I think it falls very short of the goal to be able to describe
>all things that are "on the Web".

I've never beleived for a second that RDF can describe all the things
that are on the web. RDF is really a very, very small language with
very limited expressiveness. It isn't a miracle cure for the whole of
semiotics.

>Some tangential background:
>
>One of the challenges of functional programming, in its strictest
>form in which all values are immutable, is its use in applications
>that deal with inherrently dynamic things (text editors, real-time
>control, etc.).  The approach that I have seen adopted is to treat
>such things as sequences of values, or time-varying functions.
>Coupled with techniques like lazy evaluation that only evaluate
>values as they are required, a program can represent and handle such
>possibly-infinite values.

Right, continuations and that kind of thi ng.

>Possible solution?
>
>(This may be a horrible abuse of a new trick, but I must try...)
>
>The functional programming trick seems not dissimilar to the
>relational-extension trick used in the MT denotation of RDF
>predicates.  Can it also be applied to the denotation of resources?
>
>So, a "resource" is the thing identified by a URI.  Why not have the
>idea of a resource extension that corresponds to the set of entities
>that can be retrieved via a resource, where each entity is a static
>sequence of octet data?

But there is something basically wrong with that picture. Entities
(and resources) are *not* streams of octet or any other data, in
general: they can be real solid things like books and people. (This
may be tangential to your main point.)

>(At this stage, for the purpose of testing the resource extension
>idea, I've deliberately stuck to things that can actually be
>retrieved on the web, and left unspecified any correspondence there
>may be between the data and other real-world objects.)

As I understand it, the real-world objects *are* resources, so the
idea of being retrievable on the web simply isn't applicable to
resources in general.

> Then, the resource can correspond to the current weather forecast,
>but its extension includes the set of all weather forecasts for all
>times;  the particular member of that extension one retrieves
>depends on when the retrieval is performed.

We could do something like this, but this is what I meant by a modal
(possible-world) semantics, since the denotation here ought to be not
the entire extension (in your extended sense) but the particular
member of it at the time the query was made. The semantics on this
case would need to introduce a notion of times and time-relations in
order to make snes eof this notion of 'now'. (It could be a very
simple notion, eg points with a total order, but the point is that we
would need to say *something* about it.)

In the meantime however we could also just put this issue off to the
future, and the current MT be thought of as kind of instantaneous
time-slice of this extended temporal semantics.

>It seems to me that this treatment of resources is allowed by, and
>orthogonal to the current model theory, because it still provides a
>fixed denotation for each URI, just one a that is more complex than
>originally envisaged.  It also seems, to me, to capture something of
>the intent of RFC2396.

I wonder what the intent of RFC2396 actually was, I have to confess.
It just seems to me to be confused.