Re: Working on glossary

At 01:59 PM 9/4/01 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>On Tuesday, September 4, 2001, at 11:50  AM, Graham Klyne wrote:
>
>>There seems to be this disconnect between resources on the web,
>>identified by URIs (NOT URI-references), and RDF resources that can be
>>identified by a URI+fragment identifier.
>
>First Resources can be identified by URIs, but need not be. Just because
>they don't have URIs doesn't mean that they aren't Resources. (That's my
>understanding, at least.)

That isn't obviously a universally held view.  The fact that it seems that
such different views *can* exist was the reason for raising this point
(effectively, for discussion) in the original glossary.

>>I can see how real numbers fit into the latter case, but not the
>>former.  Can you elucidate?
>
>I don't understand that comment at all. How does adding a fragment
>identifier make the URI-ref more or less able to identify a real number?

Sorry, I was not being clear...  the possible use as identifier wasn't in
question.  But it didn't seem to me that there is an obvious way of putting
an real number on the web in such a way that it's URI usefully identifies
it.  (There are clearly many possible technical solutions, but none I can
think of that seem obviously useful for general use.)

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>