Re: graphs are sets?! (was: rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about (was: Issues list update/status?))

>On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>
>>  On Thursday, October 4, 2001, at 09:34  AM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>>
>>  > I would prefer test1.nt to only have one line if they are
>>  > identical. The
>>  > graph is a set.
>>  > A comment explaining the deletion would then be helpful.
>>
>>  Whoa, whoa, whoa, I don't think we ever agreed to this. It was
>>  my understanding the output was a bag (there wasn't harm in
>>  doing so), but could be interpreted as a set.
>>
>>  When was this changed?
>
>The MT would give the same interpretation for equivalent arcs in a
>multigraph, wouldn't it?

Yes, in fact RDF graphs are multigraphs. However, that means that the
MT works just as well if they are sets or bag. Bags is semantically
harmless and puts a lighter burden in implementers, so I would vote
for bag.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes