Re: A use case for anon nodes - action from telecon

>Brian McBride wrote:
>
> > > Look at the assertions in your example, above. There are two
> > > existential claims made in there. One says that something (X) exists
> > > which bears the description-1 (ie the inverse of description)
> > > relation to advert123 and the product relation to roses and the
> > > minQuantity relation to some other thing Y.  X could be a 'service',
> > > sure. But what kind of thing is Y? It bears a units relation to kg
> > > and a minValue relation to 100. It sounds like a sale, or a
> > > transaction, or maybe a quantity of roses. But whatever it is, the
> > > sentences only assert that *one* of it exists. There is nothing here
> > > that could possibly convey what is meant by the English gloss of "a
> > > service that sells roses in quantities of at least 100 kg" (that is a
> > > hell of a lot of roses, by the way) , since that gloss uses the
> > > plural ("quantities"), but there isn't anything in the logical
> > > version that implies more than one of anything.
> >
> > How about Y represents a range with a lower bound of 100Kg and an
> > unspecified upper bound.
>
>Oops - re-reading the example, I wrote nonsense.  The example is wrong.
>It should read something like:
>
>                      advert123 role buyer
> and  thereExists ?X  advert123 description ?X
>                      ?X        product      roses
>      thereExists ?Y  ?X        minQuantitiy ?Y
>                      ?Y        units        kg
>                      ?Y        value        100
>
>I also think the role really should be a property of ?X, but I've left
>that for now.
>
>?Y simply denotes 100Kg.
>
>Or it could have been:
>
>                      advert123 role buyer
> and  thereExists ?X  advert123 description ?X
>                      ?X        product      roses
>      thereExists ?Y  ?X        quantity     ?Y
>                      ?Y        units        kg
>                      ?Y        minvalue        100
>
>in which case ?Y could represent a range with an unbounded upper limit.

Well, it COULD, but theres nothing in the RDF to say that it DOES. I
don't think that any agent could read this much RDF and figure out
what someone was saying about roses and such. In fact, I can't figure
it out myself.  It doesnt say anything about selling, for example, or
buying. It only requires that two things exist, as well as whatever
'roses' and 'buyer' mean, so it could be satisfied in a universe with
only 4 items in it. So whatever it means, it doesnt seem to amount to
enough to imply anything about selling quantities of roses.

You might want to say that the meaning of 'product' and 'minQuantity'
somehow ought to convey the intended meaning about selling things in
batches of a certain minimal size, but where does that information
reside? If there is a common vocabulary of these terms that
advertisers all understand, then its meaning needs to be specified
somewhere, maybe in an RDF or DAML+OIL Kbase (?), or else somehow in
the advertisement itself. It isn't built into RDF, for sure.

Pat

PS. This morning I had some kind of local email crash and lost all
messages to this list since last night, so if anything sent anything
vital in the last 12 hours could they please Cc me another copy?
Thanks.

(650)859 6569 w
(650)494 3973 h (until September)
phayes@ai.uwf.edu