Re: Priorities for F2F (completion of ACTION: 2001-06-22#4)

>On Thursday, July 12, 2001, at 04:25  PM, pat hayes wrote:
>
>>>A literal is a resource representing the literal -- the string.
>>
>>Sorry, I can't follow this (in fact, I can't even parse it :-). Do
>>you mean a literal is a resource that represents *itself* ?
>
>Yes, I think so. Sorry if I was confusing.
>
>>Can you expand on what you mean a little more, maybe with a simple
>>example? Thanks.
>
><data:,foo> merely represents the characters 'f', 'o', and 'o' in
>order. It does not represent a concept, thing, etc. It means nothing
>more than those three characters.
>
>Does that make more sense?

Yes. That is what I would use quotation for: "foo" means those three
characters in that order. OK, so <data:,  .....  > is a way of
quoting, thanks for the clarification.

However, maybe I was wrong, but I have been assuming that 'literal'
referred not only to <data:..> but also to things like <string:..>
and <integer:....>, ie data types more generally (??). If so, I think
it wouldnt be correct to say that all of these only denote
themsleves, eg something labelling an integer wouldn't actually be an
integer.

Pat

(650)859 6569 w
(650)494 3973 h (until September)