Re: rdfms-xmllang: Strawman Proposal

Aaron Swartz wrote:

> Just to get the creative juices flowing, here's a strawman
> proposal for xml:lang:
>
> A literal with xml:lang is turned into an anonymous node with
> xml:lang and rdf:value properties.
>
> <rdf:Description>
>     <rdf:value xml:lang="en">foo</rdf:value>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> becomes:
>
> [ rdf:value [ xml:lang "en" ; rdf:value "foo" ] ] .
>
> or in psuedo-N-Triples:
>
> _:desc    rdf:value  _:literal .
> _:literal xml:lang   "en"      .
> _:literal rdf:value  "foo"     .
>
> Thoughts? Problems?

Two problems:

1. By using the above approach you are effectively building on (and
endorsing) anonymous nodes, and the rdf:value property. I don't think we
have a agreed understanding on those two things yet.

2. Applications cannot just ignore xml:lang. Instead, the apps must deal
with a special case of identifying the "anonymous" node and tracing its
rdf:value property.

Sergey