RE: literals as resources / completion of ACTION 2001-07-06 (dependencies)

Frank Manola said:
> Ron Daniel wrote:
[If we]
> > make up a URI like
> >   urn:data:literal:2001-9
> > how do we indicate that one instance of the literal is to be typed
> > as a date and another is to be typed as an expression that will
> > evaluate to an integer? We can't just have the obvious
> >   urn:data:literal:2001-9    rdf:type    foo:iso-8601
>

> Don't we have the
> same problem with typing these things whether the things are literals or
> data-URIs?

For M&S 1.0, no, because literals are untyped. The original RDF groups
deliberately did not take up the subject of data typing because that
was seen the responsibility of the then-emerging XML Schema effort.

For M&S 2, we will want to figure out some way of adding data types
to literals. I bring up typing now because a really obvious way of
handling typing, if you have identifiers for the literals, is to
create triples with those URIs as the subjects and rdf:type as the
predicates. We should look into that. But I don't think we should
generate data: URLs now in the expectation that they will be useful
then. They may not actually work in all cases where they need to.
We may need some other way of getting URIs for the literals.

Ron Daniel Jr.
Standards Architect
Tel: +1 415 778 3113
Fax: +1 415 778 3131