Re: Why is the Target attribute in SignatureProperty required?

On Monday 27 August 2001 15:49, Ari Kermaier wrote:
> That assumes that the Signature's Id attribute will always be present to be
> referenced by Target -- why is the Signature Id attribute optional?

You might not always have a SignatureProperty (or some other thing relating
to it) but I would recommend every signature be provided with a URI.

Regardless, for SignatureProperty we borrowed the grammar of RDF, and opted
towards defining relationships with URIs instead of containment -- especially
for anything outside of Core-Processing/Validation. Since SignatureProperties
are in an Object, and might have nothing to do with that Signature it will
always need an explicit relationship. One could've specified that sans a
Target the application will need to know to which Signature it applies  to,
or it always applies to the containor Signature but no one advocated this and
it fell afar of the explicit RDF like grammar.