From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. [mailto:reagle@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 12:45 PM
To: Brian LaMacchia
Cc: IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG
Subject: Re: CanonicalizationMethod

At 12:34 PM 7/19/2000 -0700, Brian LaMacchia wrote:
 >Since CanonicalizationMethod is now a required element of SignedInfo, I
 >believe the last sentence of the first paragraph of 4.3.1 is incorrect.
 >That paragraph reads:
 >
 >	CanonicalizationMethod is a required element that specifies the
 >canonicalization algorithm applied to the SignedInfo element prior to
 >performing signature calculations. This element uses the general structure
 >for algorithms described in section 6.1: Algorithm Identifiers and
 >Implementation Requirements. The default canonicalization algorithm
(applied
 >if this element is omitted) is Canonical XML [XML-C14N].
 >
 >Since the element is now required, I don't see why we need to specify a
 >default, and the "(applied if this element is omitted)" can never happen.

Noted, the last sentence is changed to:

/+The MANDATORY to implement canonicalization algorithm (applied if this
element is omitted) is Canonical XML [XML-C14N].+/ Alternatives, such as the
minimal canonicalization algorithm (the CRLF and charset normalization
specified in section 6.5.1: Minimal Canonicalization), may be explicitly
specified but are NOT REQUIRED....