From: Ken Goldman [mailto:kgold@watson.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 7:02 AM
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Questions/Comments for the current draft.

I agree.  My reaction when reading the DSIG specification for the
first time was "how do I show a certificate chain."

I'd sure like to see a certificate chain explicitely part of DSIG.
But I've already been told that this is considered "outside DSIG, part
of the application."

My suspicion is that, in the real world, crypto verification pushed up
to the application will be crypto verification ignored.  The average
application developer might make an API call to verify a document.
Once the generic DSIG verifier comes back "true", the program goes on
"fat, dumb, and happy" not knowing that the signature was verified
against a forged public key.

The least DSIG KeyInfo could do is explicitly warn the reader.  As the
specification reads now, the goal of flexibility is reached by being
silent on a very important security issue.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646