From: tgindin@us.ibm.com [mailto:tgindin@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 4:04 PM
To: Kevin Regan
Cc: Brian LaMacchia; 'Yoshiaki KAWATSURA'; w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Questions/Comments for the current draft.

     It might well make sense, and it would surely be convenient for
validation software, but is it really necessary?  After all, by matching
issuer names with subject names and AKI extensions with SKI ones (or
performing a signature verification if the KI extensions are missing),
one
can tell for any two certificates in the set whether one was the issuer
of
the other or not, and thus construct the intended set of chains,
especially
since we know which were the actual signing certificates.
     The resulting structure could have some loops at higher levels,
which
might be considered sufficient reason for such a change.  The simplest
loop
would have 2 EE certificates from different issuers but with the same
key,
and with the issuers of these certificates mutually cross-certifying.
Even
with only one EE certificate, a similar loop can be constructed if the
issuer of that certificate had CA certificates issued by two
higher-level
CA's which were mutually cross-certifying.

          Tom Gindin

Kevin Regan <kevinr@valicert.com> on 07/11/2000 06:26:07 PM