Re: Followup on I18N Last Call comments and disposition

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 tgindin@us.ibm.com wrote:

>      In short, normalizing prior to digesting AVOIDS allowing
> inconsequential changes to change the digest.  If I have misunderstood the
> point of the section cited, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Your scenario is correct as far as it goes.  But consider a signed
document that contains an element or attribute named
"autorisation_de_découvert" ("credit limit").
A forged version of the document that contained the name
"autorization_de_de'couvert" (where ' = COMBINING ACUTE) would pass
a normalization + signature check.  However, the document processor
might well fail to recognize it as having the semantics of "credit limit"
and treat it as unknown and to be ignored.  Bad news: the forger
now appears to have unlimited credit!

C'est la` pourtant que se livre le sens du dire, de ce que, s'y conjuguant
le nyania qui bruit des sexes en compagnie, il supplee a ce qu'entre eux,
de rapport nyait pas.               -- Jacques Lacan, "L'Etourdit"