Re: WG Last call for BIND

Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> I'll suggest again that those who want these drafts to continue to make
> forward progress would benefit from coming to an IETF meeting and doing
> some good old-fashioned politics.  Meet people.  Make friends.  Explain
> your point of view.  Relationships, trust, and respect can drive a group
> towards consensus.

I find this comment puzzling. BIND has passed already one WG last call a
few years ago, has been on the WG's agenda almost since day one (as part
of "advanced collections"), and has been the top priority in the WebDAV
WG's charter for quite some time. Does it really need additional
political lobbying at this point?

After all, there is no requirement whatsoever that WGs indeed meet at
each IETF (or at all, for that matter). If the WG chairs want to promote
a meeting, it would be helpful if there'd be some more advance planning
than in the past, so that people would have some idea about what the
goals are (just re-stating the status quo isn't that helpful).

As far as I can tell, the current contents of BIND indeed represents
rough consensus (in the semantics the WG wanted to achieve) *and*
running code (interoperable code being *deployed*, not only in
development), so it's really really time that it get's out of ID state
(even if this means publishing as "Experimental" if that is needed to
overcome the opposition of a few who, for reasons unclear to me, seem to
prefer blocking the progress).

Best regards, Julian