Re: BIND vs. non-movable resources in RFC3253

Good morning all,

Perhaps you're already aware of this, but... The detection of cyclic
bindings is reducable to the problem of finding a Hamiltonian Path in a
graph, which is NP-Complete. I strongly object to placing any
requirements upon a server which are NP-Complete problems.

Since detection of cycles is NP-Complete, it shouldn't be a MUST level
requirement that servers detect them. Perhaps they SHOULD detect them,
but even that seems too strong for my tastes... It's clear that cycles
may be caused inadvertently by other namespace operations such as MOVE,
so disallowing them also has the effect of making a server detect them.

The problem is analogous to that of having cyclic links in the *nix
filesystem, is it not? Is there any reason we cannot follow the same
approach taken there? The simplest way to avoid the whole mess is to
specify that namespace operations do not follow BINDed (bound?)
resources since they could end up in a cycle...

I'd be interested in seeing a use case for cyclic BINDings that cannot
be satisfied with the judicious use of properties...

Elias