RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt

Jim,

I didn't want to imply that it was you who did that. But obviously somebody
else did :-)

> to add non-standard properties to a namespace Apple owns -- for
> example, http://www.apple.com/webdav_fs/props/). However, Apple had
> already shipped products using non-standard properties in the DAV:
> namespace before I had anything to do with WebDAV.
>
> I asked Lisa to revive the "Quota and Size Properties for DAV
> Collections" draft because:
> (a) I think quotas are useful and
> (b) I knew that Apple had done the wrong thing by using quota and
> quotaused in the DAV: namespace and I want to correct that problem as
> quickly as possible.

That's a good thing.

> So... I'm asking forgiveness and asking that the new names don't
> conflict with those Apple already uses. As I noted in an earlier
> message, we fully plan to support the new properties as soon as it
> looks like they are fully defined and won't change.
>
> By the way, you'll find the same problem with the non-standard
> properties defined by Microsoft including DAV:ishidden which has been
> recently discussed on this mailing list [1].

Yes. There are many more in use (or actually not in use, but appearing in
PROPFIND requests) at Microsoft. But that shouldn't be an excuse to copy
this behaviour.

BTW: DAV:ishidden was documented in an Internet Draft that at some point
wasn't updated and therefore expired. It probably was intended to be
published as WG RFC at a later point of time. Lesson: do not use the DAV:
namespace in Internet Drafts, unless they are WebDAV working group drafts
(hint hint).

[1] <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-hopmann-collection-props-00.txt>