Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt

On Thursday, October 24, 2002, at 10:25 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> WebDAV properties are identified using namespaces. Just do not add
> properties in namespaces you don't control.

Surely I wouldn't do that (because I've read the RFC and understand how
to add non-standard properties to a namespace Apple owns -- for
example, http://www.apple.com/webdav_fs/props/). However, Apple had
already shipped products using non-standard properties in the DAV:
namespace before I had anything to do with WebDAV.

I asked Lisa to revive the "Quota and Size Properties for DAV
Collections" draft because:
(a) I think quotas are useful and
(b) I knew that Apple had done the wrong thing by using quota and
quotaused in the DAV: namespace and I want to correct that problem as
quickly as possible.

So... I'm asking forgiveness and asking that the new names don't
conflict with those Apple already uses. As I noted in an earlier
message, we fully plan to support the new properties as soon as it
looks like they are fully defined and won't change.

By the way, you'll find the same problem with the non-standard
properties defined by Microsoft including DAV:ishidden which has been
recently discussed on this mailing list [1].

Does anyone else have any non-standard properties in the DAV: namespace
to pull out of their closets? It would be nice to know about them now
rather than later when there's a conflict.

- Jim

[1]
<http://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-hopmann-collection-props-
00.txt> and <http://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webdavfaq.html>