Re: FW: WebFolders on Intranet

Heya Mac,

No idea regarding IIS. The little testing John Sellens, Phil Scarr and I performed has been with a
Sun Ultra 1 SparcStation 143 mhz CPU 320 MB RAM running:
UNIX(r) System V Release 4.0 with an average of 60 to 80 simultaneous Intranet users.

We found no significant slowdowns...compared with the average speed w/o WebDAV.
Initially, Phil and I shared the editing/versioning of a test HTML file by using Web Folders.
I wrote "Hello" and he wrote "World".
I titled the file "foo.html" and he changed the title to "bar.html".
You know the drill ;-)

He added a folder to the WebDAV test directory and titled it phil Scarr.
I dropped in bar.html and he retitled it index.html .

I hacked some code into it from inside the facility, and Phil picked it up (remotely) and modified it while dialing-in to the
network from home.

He also dumped some folders and their contents into the test directory from another location on the Web tree.
I edited a few of them using several different clients, including Dreamweaver, MS Word, and Photoshop.

Later on, I picked up the original html file on an HP 4150B (PIII) running MS W2KPro Japanese, and added some kanji to it. I
repeated the process via dail-in using Windows Me Japanese Version 4.90.3000 on a Compaq Presario 2298 (AMD K6).

At no time was I prevented from editing the files due to an open as "write only" incident.

FYI this single server handles DHCP for external dial-in, serves up Internal Web pages (including, until very recently, user's home
directories), runs sendmail, and acts as a command-line interface to an Oracle database.

In a testament to UNIX uptime, this particular server has been running for 232 consecutive days.

Perhaps Kevin Wiggin from Xythos could comment about WebDAV scalability on IIS.
We have cooperated in the past on Sharemation Server testing with double-bit character sets.

Regards,

Stewart Hersey
http://www.karuizawa.ne.jp/~farmer/new.html