FW: [Moderator Action] RE: ETags

Accidentally caught by the spam filter.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Clemm, Geoff [mailto:gclemm@rational.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 7:56 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] RE: ETags

A good reason to not change the etag or mod-date when a property changes
is that a property is often information about the resource, as opposed to
"being" the resource.  If I mark a resource as being "tested", I don't want
it to appear that the resource has changed (thus making it look like I need
to test it again).
A less compelling reason (but still a consideration) is to achieve
consistency
between dead and live properties.  You certainly don't want a change to the
"last access time" of a resource to modify the etag or "modification time"
of
that resource.
Add to this the fact that current implementations appear to not modify the
etag or
modification time when a dead property is modified, and I think we have a
pretty
case that neither the etag value nor the modification time should
be changed when a dead property is updated.