Re: Why are WebDAV's XML namespace rules different than the W3C's?

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Yaron Goland (Exchange) wrote:
> I was cleaning up my mail box when I found a letter I had written explaining
> the differences between the W3C's rules for handling namespaces and
> WebDAV's. In the end I believe that everyone adopted the W3C's rules but
> this does introduce a very serious interoperability issue that implementers
> need to be aware of. Anyone who actually is supporting section 23.4.2
> (which, in so far as I know, nobody does) is well advised to re-write their
> code to maintain the separation between namespace and element name.

Excellent writeup, Yaron. I'll get this added to your Book Of Why on
webdav.org :-)

FWIW, mod_dav does not obey 23.4.2 -- it treats the namespace and name as
a tuple, rather than concatenating them.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/