websockets in the IETF, was: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

On 2012-10-23 01:59, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Whether WebSockets is a good idea or not is besides the point. The point
> is that the hybi group was not a pleasant experience for me. If I were to
> be in a position to do Web Sockets again, I would decline the opportunity
> to do it through the IETF. Doing it through the IETF made the work take a
> year longer than it would have, made the protocol less secure (the WG
> removed a number of defense-in-depth features), and made the spec a mess

And, as far as I can tell, fixed a security problem in the original
design (which caused some UA implementers to actually disable what they
were shipping at that time): <http://w2spconf.com/2011/papers/websocket.pdf>

> (it's a mishmash of different editing styles). Plus, the group _still_
> hasn't done multiplexing, which some of the vendors said was a prereq to
> implementation, something which, prior to the IETF getting involved, was
> only 3 to 6 months out on the roadmap.

Indeed, but then wasn't it you arguing *against* having it in the base
spec? (see
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg00239.html>)

Best regards, Julian