Re: The state of 'afs' URi scheme

11.01.2011 18:11, Alastair Angwin1 wrote:
> Mykyta
> I have watched this thread and alerted some folks who would be closer to it
> than I am
> As someone who has been involved in standards and had to deal with legacy
> may I point out that the classification of "historic" is emotive,
> Regardless of whether or not it affects any current implementations or
> users it sends a less than desirable message. I cannot think of many of us
> other than a palaeontologist who would like ourselves or our work to be
> referred to as dinosaurs or ancient.
> May I suggest as a way forward that the team wanting to address these
> legacy, a much more preferred term, schemes actually contacts the OpenAFS
> folks or IBM who still support customers using AFS to get their input
> I don't think silence should always be taken as agreement ... perhaps those
> who would have an opinion are simply not sufficiently aware of current
> discussions
Alastair,

During the discussion that occurred here, it was mentioned that there is
no any appropriate implementation that use the 'afs' URI scheme to
access the AFS resources.  Maybe there are some server implementations,
but having no interest to this scheme as a tool to access the resources
provided by these servers makes the scheme just useless.  If there is no
benefit from such a scheme.  Those who use AFS may use it, we don't
restrict them.  We just want to indicate that the 'afs' scheme is out of
use, deprecated.  And in this case, do you know any implementations to
support this scheme?

Mykyta Yevstifeyev