Re: fb: URIs?

Erik Wilde writes:

> would it help at all to have X-... uri schemes that analogous to other
> named things on the internet by definition always would be local and
> context-specific?

I am somewhat doubtful of the notion of being "local and
context-specific".  If they really are, then why is it important that they
be URIs at all?  Why not make up some other handle name like "iPhone
launch key" that would represent a completely disjoint identification
space?  I suspect it's because these things really won't be local:  the
will wind up on the same Web pages that link ordinary resources.  They
will be emailed to other people with instructions like "click this link to
see my facebook page".

I could be wrong, but my intuition is: if these are really, truly local to
the individual phone, then they don't need to be URIs.  If they're
actually meant for linking from Web pages or other public communication,
then they're not local.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation